Re: What happened?

<<<<<<Seems they spent millions of pounds
bringing in a system that would eliminate the driver only to keep him there
to tell the computer the train was OK to depart. False economy?>>>>>>

Maybe not. There are more than a couple of trains now that can run without
drivers but the problem is that passengers don't like riding them without
drivers.

I got a cabride in the TGV about a year after it was introduced, (through my
union). The "foreman" back then said this train could run without a driver no
problems but studies had shown that no drivers, no passengers. Of course there
would be union issues to address as well.

The only truly driverless trains I know if is BART in San Francisco, I'm sure
there must be others by now!

Mark.

Visit my train pic website at:
http://home.earthlink.net/~markbau/