Re: What happened?

In article <19990215021709.06179.00001324@ng-cf1.aol.com>,
  markbau1@aol.comQQQQyuk (MarkBau1) wrote:

> I got a cabride in the TGV about a year after it was introduced, (through my
> union). The "foreman" back then said this train could run without a driver no
> problems but studies had shown that no drivers, no passengers.

I'm jealous! However, I think the foreman may have been a little confused,
AFAIA the TGVs are not capable of automatic operation and the driver is
always in control of the train (unless the ATP initiates overspeed or SPAD
braking) as the French 'TVM' signalling system is not capable of automatic
operation. By contrast, the German LZB system allows drivers to select
automated operation.

> The only truly driverless trains I know if is BART in San Francisco, I'm sure
> there must be others by now!

I'd include Docklands LRT in the list. Each train has a Train Captain that
supervises door operations, but also acts as a conductor. Train Captains are
trained to drive only in an emergency or when the Seltrac system fails.

Any others?

> Mark.

Rob

Sydney (Australia)