Re: What happened?

>I agree with you Les.
>
>I'm behind in my reading, and surprised to find no-one else has commented.
>The sooner railways move to in-cab signalling (combined with automatic
>braking if the speeds are exceeded) the better.

TVM signalling as used on Eurostar/TGV/Thalys is similar to what you
propose. In the cab are three speedos - one shows current actual
speed; one shows current maximum speed and one shows the next maximum.
Instead of caution signals the max speed decreases as you get closer
to the train in front until you get to next max=0. AFAIK signs beside
the track indicate block points (IE points where the next max becomes
the new max.).

BNSF are experimenting with a PTS (positive train separation) system
that sounds a warning in the cab if another train is within 7
(crow-flying) miles. This plus GPS could be the basis for the next
generation of safeworking systems. I only hope that we get an
Australian standard.

cheers

Krel

>>Why can't we do away with the need for external signals, as far as a
>>suburban train service is concerned, anyway?
>>
>>What I would like to see is not an actual signal in the cab, just a
>>display advising of the correct speed to proceed at.
>>
>>The technology exists for a train to be sent an advisory speed
>>display, or even for the train to be fed this speed and have it
>>automatically set in. Should the advised speed be exceeded then
>>automatic braking can be applied. We have already had advisory speeds
>>for driving on highways so why not for rail? I think that drivers will
>>still be needed for a variety of reasons.
>>
>>I think that external signals are of limited use and prone to failure,
>>and must surely give way to in-cab speed-advisory system which is
>>essential for a fast service. The only future use I can think of for
>>external signalling is as a backup for the in-cab system.

Just another eccentric crank.