Re: 140 years of VR to Sunbury.

On 14 Feb 1999 03:45:11 GMT, orcadianaz@aol.com (Orcadianaz) wrote:

>Can you recommend a book that might be available in the U.S. that recounts the
>history of and reasons for the continued existence of dual gauge trackage in
>Australia and NZ?

AFAIK Dual gauge in NZ lasted from 1876 to 1877 when the Canterbury
Provincial Railways wre taken over by the New Zealand Railways (via
the PWD).

In Oz I'm not sure if you mean dual gauge trackage or more than one
gauge systems. Dual gauge trackage exists in Victoria (South Dynon
Junction to West Footscray Junction; Tottenham B Box to Newport; North
Geelong C box to Gheringhap; Maryborough to Dunolly), QLD (Acacia
Ridge to Roma Street),  SA (Adelaide subruban area?), WA (Northam to
Midland + some Perth suburban areas). In most cases it is the standard
1435mm interstate mainline system laid over the local network (1067mm
in Qld, SA, WA & 1600mm in Vic).

Cheers

Krel

>Or, perhaps, just a simple explanation from you?
>
>orcadianaz@aol.com

Just another eccentric crank.