Re: Crossing loop design (r.e. Southern Aurora crash)

>> Well, despite what I have said in previous posts, the NSW DLCL system is
>> easy to read. It is simply a hybridised "Home Over Distant" system carried
>> over from semaphore days. The first DLCL signals only had 3 combinations :-
>> G/G, G/R, R/R.
>
>Does this mean that in semaphore days a distant placed below a home signal
>displayed a red light when showing "caution"?  Certainly that is the case in
>Victoria.

In NSW distant signals did not show yellow lights. On a normal distant
caution was green over red; clear was green over green (NB same as
DLCL). They had a fixed upper green light. On a distant placed below a
home on the same post the home replaced the fixed upper green light
and the indications were the same. The old wives tale was that in the
olden days a white kero light looks a little yellow so red and green
were used to avoid any risk of confusion.

BTW in NSW each signal on a post had an individual number, distants
were not numbered. In Vic posts are numbered including post that have
only distants. EG imagine a station with a distant then a bracket home
at the facing points, in NSW the distant is not numbered and is
reffered to as the up or down distant for 'Anytown"; the homes would
each have their own number. In Vic the distant would be numbered and
known as post 2 (or whatever number), the homes would share a number
because they share a post and would be known as the right and left
hand dolls on post 4 (or whatever). Of course, I am sure that in each
state there are exceptions, but generally in Vic they numbered posts
and in NSW they numbered signals.

Cheers

Krel

Just another eccentric crank.