Re: Crossing loop design (r.e. Southern Aurora crash)

David Johnson wrote in message <36C635A7.B9D7957E@ozemail.com.au>...
>Finally, someone has posted something about the Victorian signalling system
that
>makes sense!  Thanks, MattyQ.  I can now see how they work it out, but I
like
>the NSW system better. :-)
>
>--
>David Johnson
>CityRail Guard
>trainman@ozemail.com.au
>http://www.ozemail.com.au/~trainman/

Well, despite what I have said in previous posts, the NSW DLCL system is
easy to read. It is simply a hybridised "Home Over Distant" system carried
over from semaphore days. The first DLCL signals only had 3 combinations :-
G/G, G/R, R/R. Firstly, something had to be done to allow signals to be
placed closer together. The yellow aspect was introduced on the lower head.
Secondly, something had to be done to allow for turnouts without using a
multiple of signals on a Dolly (bracket) as they did in WA. Hence, the
yellow in the upper head. Bingo! NSW DLCL signalling. Worked fine until a
few years ago. Yellow in upper head = turnout, no questions asked.

Now, SRA (or whatever it is called these days) are installing high speed
turnouts (Cabramatta, Harris Park 'Y' link) where G/G can apply to either
the straight route or the turnout. This has opened a can of worms in my
opinion. When approaching one of these junctions, you get G/G with lunar
lights on the signal PRECEEDING the turnout signal. then a G/G with a dot
matrix route indication at the junction. I'm curious to see how good this
system works. DJ, can have some feedback on this please? TIA.

Regards

Matt Smith
Brisbane, Queensland
matticue@corplink.com.au