Re: Crossing loop design (r.e. Southern Aurora crash)

The ever astute KREL wrote:

<<<The problem with this is that with longer trains and the
Australianised Westinghouse air brake system (see another thread)
brake recharges can take more time than required to run into the loop.
This is not such a problem if dyno can be used but if it cannot (or if
it is insufficient) and air has to be used to get down for the "speed
proving" a long train may not be fully recharged before it is
necessary to reapply the air to stop at the end of the loop. >>>>>>

You know, I never thought about this situation until you mentioned it. Apply
brake to get train down to 40KPH for the speed proveing, kick brake off, hope
you have enough to stop at the other end. When the CTC went in on the western
line we were still running pretty short/light trains, (1 C class 1200 tons) it
was not an issue. Just out of curiosity, what sort of trains are running on the
western line now? (length/weight etc)

Mark.

Visit my train pic website at:
http://home.earthlink.net/~markbau/