Re: Crossing loop design (r.e. Southern Aurora crash)

MattyQ wrote:

> Now, SRA (or whatever it is called these days) are installing high speed
> turnouts (Cabramatta, Harris Park 'Y' link) where G/G can apply to either
> the straight route or the turnout. This has opened a can of worms in my
> opinion. When approaching one of these junctions, you get G/G with lunar
> lights on the signal PRECEEDING the turnout signal. then a G/G with a dot
> matrix route indication at the junction. I'm curious to see how good this
> system works. DJ, can have some feedback on this please? TIA.

It works very well.  I can see the route of the train as I watch it into
Merrylands station and act if it is wrong.  The dot matrix displays could have
been thought out a bit better with their lettering.  For example, at Cabramatta,
a train travelling on the "Old Main South" gets a "B" indication (For branch).
If I had designed it, I would have used "C" for Canley Vale and "V" for
Villawood.  At Merrylands I would have used "U" for Up line, "D" for down line
and "Y" for the Y-link.

--
David Johnson
CityRail Guard