Re: Crossing loop design (r.e. Southern Aurora crash)

>>I would love to see a system that tells you before you get there what
>>is required. For example at the distant/last auto indicate three
>>aspects - 1. going straight through; 2. stop required at home arrival;
>>3. stop required at home departure. I could then set my braking for
>>the required location. Maybe 1. could be G/R; 2. could be Y/R and 3.
>>could be pulsating Y/R. Similar to NSW practice whilst retaining the
>>lower red light (Vics have a problem getting rid of this ;-)).
>
>Dont know about all this crap, You are taught a system, you use the system
>and the system looks after you.
>You go somewhere different. and you learn the new system!  End of
>story....your mind [and your Professionalism??] ensure that you Don't fuck
>up!

Could not agree with you more but the discussion was about what we
would LIKE TO SEE. When each state stayed on thier own turf it wasn't
a problem but now with everyone running everywhere it is beginning to
show up. EG NRC & Countrylink drivers run in two directions under G/R
signals heading north it means caution, heading south it means clear
normal.

>Two things more.... I have been running up and down the 'gauge' since 1974,
>and I can tell you that at any one time, as many as a dozen marker lights
>will be "blown". No body bothers to report them any more, as you would
>report them for weeks, until one of our [scarce] fitters  as time to replace
>them.
>Its not in the rules , but nobody stops and obeys regulations, because it
>would mean that trains would not be able to run! It would be chaos! The
>safety angle......none....no accident will result from the unavailability of
>a red fixed marker light.

But if someone wants to be pedantic  haven't we just broken the
safeworking rules? Basically it proves my point - if everyone ignores
the red marker light why have them?

Cheers

Krel

Just another eccentric crank.