Re: Crossing loop design (r.e. Southern Aurora crash)

>I would love to see a system that tells you before you get there what
>is required. For example at the distant/last auto indicate three
>aspects - 1. going straight through; 2. stop required at home arrival;
>3. stop required at home departure. I could then set my braking for
>the required location. Maybe 1. could be G/R; 2. could be Y/R and 3.
>could be pulsating Y/R. Similar to NSW practice whilst retaining the
>lower red light (Vics have a problem getting rid of this ;-)).
>
>Cheers
>
>Krel
>
>Just another eccentric crank.
Dont know about all this crap, You are taught a system, you use the system
and the system looks after you.
You go somewhere different. and you learn the new system!  End of
story....your mind [and your Professionalism??] ensure that you Don't fuck
up!
Two things more.... I have been running up and down the 'gauge' since 1974,
and I can tell you that at any one time, as many as a dozen marker lights
will be "blown". No body bothers to report them any more, as you would
report them for weeks, until one of our [scarce] fitters  as time to replace
them.
Its not in the rules , but nobody stops and obeys regulations, because it
would mean that trains would not be able to run! It would be chaos! The
safety angle......none....no accident will result from the unavailability of
a red fixed marker light.
Another indication, that is abused is mostly found on the BG Suburban
Network.
A three pos. signal with working Top and Medium aspects, might be set up by
the signalman as Top Green,
that is Green over Red. The Green light fails, and the sensors in the signal
1. alerts the fitters as to the fault
and 2. changes the medium aspect to yellow, and although I can find no rule
that allows  this. The Driver will proceed without stopping, towards the
next signal, which he can generally see anyway.
Rod