Re: Crossing loop design (r.e. Southern Aurora crash)

Craig Haber wrote in message <36C6B731.C7640D66@harnessnet.com.au>...
>G'day,
>
>MarkBau1 wrote:
>
>> CTC rules change the requirement that a driver is to travel the whole
track
>> section at medium speed where the next signal is usually many miles down
the
>> track
>
>Had often wondered about when we depart Werribee Plat 1 (back platform
road) on
>a bottom light.  Drivers tell me the deal there is that once the last
vehicle
>clears the points (at medium speed), the train may then proceed at line
speed.
>Is this the case as well on CTC territory? (ie, is that what you're
explaining
>above)

Well, that seems to make sense then. The original question was "Why is there
an extra signal 2 km down the track in SA but not Vic. Obviously, the Vic
Rules and Regs permit a train to resume normal speed once clear of the
points whereas in SA, you must remain at medium speed until the next signal
is passed. Hence the need for an extra signal in SA. Vic's idea is cheaper
but is it safe?

Regards

Matt Smith
Brisbane, Queensland