Re: Crossing loop design (r.e. Southern Aurora crash)

In article <36c7aa1b.0@news.bris.corplink.com.au> "MattyQ" <matticue@corplink.com.au> writes:
>From: "MattyQ" <matticue@corplink.com.au>
>Subject: Re: Crossing loop design (r.e. Southern Aurora crash)
>Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 15:06:37 +1000

>Craig Haber wrote in message <36C6B731.C7640D66@harnessnet.com.au>...
>>G'day,
>>
>>MarkBau1 wrote:
>>
>>> CTC rules change the requirement that a driver is to travel the whole
>track
>>> section at medium speed where the next signal is usually many miles down
>the
>>> track
>>
>>Had often wondered about when we depart Werribee Plat 1 (back platform
>road) on
>>a bottom light.  Drivers tell me the deal there is that once the last
>vehicle
>>clears the points (at medium speed), the train may then proceed at line
>speed.
>>Is this the case as well on CTC territory? (ie, is that what you're
>explaining
>>above)

>Well, that seems to make sense then. The original question was "Why is there
>an extra signal 2 km down the track in SA but not Vic. Obviously, the Vic
>Rules and Regs permit a train to resume normal speed once clear of the
>points whereas in SA, you must remain at medium speed until the next signal
>is passed. Hence the need for an extra signal in SA. Vic's idea is cheaper
>but is it safe?

>Regards

>Matt Smith
>Brisbane, Queensland
>matticue@corplink.com.au

>You can't slam a revolving door.

Just to add a bit more anomaly , in certain locations only in NSW CTC , you
also get this arrangement , ie an additional home signal located 1 - 2 Kms
after the loop departure homes , but not everywhere.

A couple of examples are
Culcairn , has an additional down home about 1 km after the loop homes , but
not in the up direction.
Henty has an additional up home about 1 km after the loop homes , but not in
the down direction.
Uranquinty has a home in the middle of the no 1 road in the loop in  the down
direction but not the up .

On the Nth Coast approaching Boambee Beach Loop on the up a train passes 1
distant, 1 outer home (3 pos) , arrival home (2 pos) , thence as you would
normally expect.
On the down you get normal departure homes at the loop (2 pos) , you then get
an additional home (2 pos) about 1 km out , ie like Henty and Culcairn.

If there is logic to any of this it escapes me .

cheers
MD