Re: Vline sale Assetts.

Craig Haber <albatross@harnessnet.com.au> wrote in aus.rail:

>G'day,
>
>Les Brown wrote:
>
>> Did he also check T382 and T402 still inside Bendigo Loco? As they
>> haven't turned a wheel in service for a few years now, I doubt if they
>> are in any sort of "nick" at all except rusted.
>
>Not necessarily.  If it's not being used, then it ain't being worn out!

Yes, but only for a short time. Look at the ARHS Museum, lot's of
loco's there that aren't being used. Granted, most were all worn out
to begin with, but a few made it in under their own steam. X36 and
R704 were ones that spring to mind, but I don't like your chances are
getting steam up right now.

Locos, steam and diesel, and just like all machinery, are best
maintained in working order. The lubricants haven't all dripped off,
the batteries are charged, the fuel hasn't evaporated or become
contaminated. If you don't use them for a while then don't expect them
to work as they did previously.

Les Brown