Re: Crossing loop design (r.e. Southern Aurora crash)

Tony Gatt wrote in message <36C2A65D.5D5CA3BA@tig.com.au>...

>How does this work at Sydney Central, where the derails are off the centre
road
>and either side are platform roads. (Plats 1 & 2 at Central, as well as
3&4).

>The centre roads will hit a train either way, I wonder what method they
used to
>decide which one would do the least damage?

The situation at Sydney Central is slightly different - just about all
trains entering the station are equipped with trips - XPT's, Xploders, IP
and 2 loco hauled per week are the exceptions - so if they pass a signal at
stop, they will be tripped.

IF the train is under control, but the driver misjudges, then, as it is a
terminal station, the speed will be low in any event.

DaveP