Re: Crossing loop design (r.e. Southern Aurora crash)

<<<<<<<<In Victoria, at Lara and Laverton (and probably some other places),
loop
roads have 'slips' installed which are rodded to the points.>>>>>>>

Unless Victorian practice has changed there is a long standing policy of never
providing derails on mainlines. (There were a few places that were exceptions
in special circumstances) I think the tracks you are refering to could more
properly be described as "sidings" One of the craziest things VR ever did was
the useless speed proving they put on the loops during the Ararat to Serviceton
CTC project. Speed proving may have made sense if derails were provided, not
that I'd like to see that either.

<<<<<<<<<<It appeared on my travels that loops throughout NSW are set up the
same,>>>>>>>>>>> I watched the Junee to Albury CTC project taking shape and I
too often thought it was a good idea to install derails at the end of crossing
loops. I asked VR signal engineers about this and got the standard reply that
"it was not VR policy"

<<<<<<<<Didn't the Aurora go through no. 2 road?>>>>>>>>>
No, the Aurora went through No1 road at Violet Town on that fateful morning.
The plan was for the Aurora to hold the main as the goods went through 2 road.
If the Aurora was routed through the crossing loop it would have almost
certainly derailed at the north end points.

<<<<<<<<he suffered significant wounds (including a
severed leg), but there was no bleeding.>>>>>>>
This is true, the reason there was no bleeding was because at the time of
impact his heart had already stopped pumping, hence, no blood.

Mark.

Visit my train pic website at:
http://home.earthlink.net/~markbau/