Re: Indian Pacific Lithgow

On 8 Feb 1999 01:57:50 GMT, matthew@mail.usyd.edu.au (Matthew Geier)
wrote:

snip

> Im not aware of any of the concrete sleepers used in NSW just 'crumbling'
>in normal traffic. However there have been quite a number of instances of
>derailed wagons being dragged many kilometers before the crew notices,
>leaving a trail of cracked sleepers. This is particulary a problem with
>loaded coal trains. One derailed axle might not get noticed for a while
>(ie until it hits a set of points and pulls the other axle off and parts
>the train!), and with a quarter of the weight of a load of coal bounceing
>along the sleepers, a lot break...

so is the real problem then a higher incidence of derailments down
under than in Europe? And if so, why, assuming it's not the fault of
the sleepers?

regards

Mike Roebuck, Basel, Switzerland  icq#7018252
SPAMTRAP: I don't mend shoes - remove the trade name when replying by E-Mail

"Just another Town, another Train, nothing lost and nothing gained
 Guess I will spend my life on railway stations"  (Andersson/Ulvaeus)