Re: Indian Pacific Lithgow

On 7 Feb 1999 01:22:34 GMT, matthew@mail.usyd.edu.au (Matthew Geier)
wrote:

>In article <36c1c81b.5294668@news.datacomm.ch>,
>Michael Roebuck <Mike.Roebuck@.datacomm.ch> wrote:
snip snip

>>so what about concrete sleepers? Are there any pressing reasons for
>>not using them?
>>

> Concrete sleepers, while great for holding CWR in place and lasting
>a long time are not derailment proof. They crack and then are useless.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
snip snip

īs this a purely Aussie phenomenon, due to the heat? The only case of
heard of concrete sleepers cracking in Europe is that of those made by
the former East German State Railways (DR), using sand from the Baltic
beaches (actually, I think crumbling is probably more correct).

Concrete sleepers are definitely the norm over here.

regards

Mike Roebuck, Basel, Switzerland  icq#7018252
SPAMTRAP: I don't mend shoes - remove the trade name when replying by E-Mail

"Just another Town, another Train, nothing lost and nothing gained
 Guess I will spend my life on railway stations"  (Andersson/Ulvaeus)