Re: Violet Town

This is a good chance to put to rest a myth that has evolved regarding S 314
and S 316.

While I was researching my book on VR diesels, (which never got to press due to
my move to the US) I turned up some RS branch corre' on this subject.

It has been stated quite a few times in books and magazines that X 37 and X 38
were built using some parts from the 2 S's.

What actually happened was that some of the damaged parts were returned to
Clyde and Clyde gave VR a credit on these parts. It is highly doubtful that any
parts off the 2 S's ever made it into the X's.

What was interesting was that for accounting purposes X37 and X 38 were deemed
to be rebuilds of the 2 S's. Apparently this was creative accounting as the
money had already been allocated for 6 X's and funds were not forthcoming for 2
more to replace the destroyed S's. So the money for the extra 2 X's came from a
separate budget. There was even a piece of corre' I found that suggested using
the builders numbers from S 314 and S 316 on X 37 and X 38!

Mark.

Visit my train pic website at:
http://home.earthlink.net/~markbau/