Re: [NSW] CityRail's New Year's Eve (was, a long time ago, "Tangaras are crap"

In <wAEa4.6268$n23.17633@ozemail.com.au> "Bill McNiven" <wmcniven@gunzel.ozemail.com.au> writes:

>>Does this mean that, to get the best possible view of midnight fireworks,
>>one just catches the 11:30 pm train from Stathfield to Milson's Point?  Or
>>will 20,000 other people have thought of that first?  Or will the Chubb
>>bouncers finally get to do some bouncing?

After 2345 you won't be able to travel on a train between North Sydney,
Central and Bondi... The trains are all still running (except presumably
during the moments when pyro's are fired off the bridge).

I'm working run 107 back from Bondi Junction tonight at 2346 to Central
(after having worked it out to Cronulla from Central at 2131, leaving
Cronulla at 2225 for the return trip into the city), so I'm guessing my
train will be the first one to come back from Bondi empty.

I pick the same train (run 107) up again at 0143 after it's done a trip to
Sutherland and back, so I presume that when I get it again it'll be the
first train to run from Central to Bondi carrying passengers after the y2k
paranoia period is over.

>It will be interesting to see the 9 or so trains tabled over the Bridge
>braving the fireworks display!

Like other years, I suspect that during the times that pyro's are actually
being launched off the bridge it will be closed to all pedestrian, vehicle
and rail traffic, otherwise it's too difficult to ensure safety.

Besides, I don't think you'll find too many people are amused if all they
can see and hear in between firings is the load rumbling of trains powering
over the Harbour Bridge, and it'll ruin lots of photographs... He he - I
don't care because we're all partying for the wrong year anyway. The new
century doesn't start until the end of y2k, and besides, there's a better
reason to delay until the end of next year because it'll also be the
centenary of Federation.

Regards,

Craig.
--
            Craig Ian Dewick            |       Stand clear - jaws closing
 Send email to craigd@lios.apana.org.au |  Visit my Australian rail transport