Re: [NSW] CityRail's New Year's Eve (was, a long time ago, "Tangaras are crap"

Bill McNiven wrote on 26-Nov-1999 ...
>An enhanced version of "CityRail's New Years Eve 1999 Messages" has
appeared
>at http://www.cityrail.nsw.gov.au/nye/nye.htm
>
>"The platforms at Central, Redfern Milsons Point and North Sydney stations
>going into the CBD and the Eastern Suburbs, will also be closed between
>11.45pm and 1.15am.
>"Central, Redfern Milsons Point and North Sydney stations will be open at
>all times for outbound trains (for the south, west, the main North and for
>intercity services)."
>
>Does this mean that, to get the best possible view of midnight fireworks,
>one just catches the 11:30 pm train from Stathfield to Milson's Point?  Or
>will 20,000 other people have thought of that first?  Or will the Chubb
>bouncers finally get to do some bouncing?
>
>Or does it mean that, despite my (and others') scepticism, trains really
>will terminate at Milson's Point (or Wynyard High)?
>
>Rgds
>
>Bill
The CityRail web site http://www.cityrail.gov.nsw.au has now clarified this
“To ensure passenger safety all City and Eastern Suburbs Railway underground
stations will be closed between 11.45pm and 1.15am (Y2K rollover period).
PASSENGERS USING TRAINS DURING THE Y2K ROLLOVER PERIOD WILL BE ASKED TO END
THEIR JOURNEYS AT CENTRAL OR NORTH SYDNEY STATIONS. TRAINS WILL THEN RUN
EMPTY THROUGH THE CITY CIRCLE BACK TO CENTRAL OR ACROSS THE SYDNEY HARBOUR
BRIDGE BEFORE RESUMING OUTBOUND PASSENGER SERVICES.”

It will be interesting to see the 9 or so trains tabled over the Bridge
braving the fireworks display!

Rgds

Bill