Re: [Melb.] Hillside Express Shopper Trains

> I haven't got these new TT's only WTT.2004/99, so:
>
> The Up from Riversdale arrives into which platform?  If its Platform 1
then
> your stuffed, but if it's Platform 2 then you should be able to depart
> direct to the Down line.

Actually if the train arrives in platform 1 up and down through trains can
work through platform 2 and down trains through platform 3 as now because
Alamein shuttles shunt out to A siding, the signalman (never could bring
myself to say signaller) at Camberwell should be kept nice and busy, oh
well, he is on Area Controller money after all!!!

> > After arrival at Camberwell the train will shunt and re-dock (S&R) via
> > signal 28 (dwarf, shunt from down line, under the flyover) and ment to
> > shunt into platform 3, however shunt from down line to platform 3 is
> > NOT a signalled move.  Since there is no "Limit of Shunt" or signal at
the
> > Up end of platform 3.

 Down trains from the city arrive Platform 3 and depart to Box Hill on the
centre track and Alamein trains go via the flyover so it should redock to
Platform 2 after Alamein arrival shunts out.

> Errrr.....do the Safeworking people realise this?  I remember watching a
> Signaller try this once when he was trying to run around a tea kettle
around
> a charter, verbaled the driver past the dwarf, and got themselves totally
> tracklocked.  I don't think this move, if it even starts, will survive
very
> long.

Dwarf only allows moves to sidings, Plat 1/2, there is no instruction for
moves to Plat 3 account down signalling allows follow on moves and as such a
train could enter Plat 3 on the down.
> > And just more trains to set the level crossings at Heatherdale, Mitcham,
> > Rooks, Springvale, Blackburn and Middleborough roads to the wrong
> > stopping pattern (ie express/stopper) and it will be only a matter of
> > time before there is an accident either by the level crossing not
> > protecting the train or staying down too long and someone driving around
> the
> > crossing.
>
> The only real solution would be a new Express/Stopping system based on a
box
> (say Ringwood) transmitting with each train a full stopping pattern, not
> just a simple Stopping or Express.  i.e. not just PR's but some sort of
data
> transmission & processing.
>
> This Skip Stop sort of stopping pattern really kills the current selection
> along here, based mostly on timing the dwell of the train at the previous
> station.

true, however on the up selection is made by Box Hill when switched in, when
switched out it always sets up for stopping unless a train actually runs
express through the platform. There has been many a time when running
express Box Hill-Camberwell and Box Hill switched out, the train nearly has
to stop at Mont Albert and Surrey Hills. Other crossings detected
automatically by pattern ie stopping or express, although Rooks Rd doesn't
seem to understand this, although I think facility exists at Mitcham when
switched in to select condition, not sure though.