Re: [Melb.] Hillside Express Shopper Trains

Christopher_Martin GORDON <cmgord@ecr.mu.oz.au> wrote in message
842d2h$ggi$1@mulga.cs.mu.OZ.AU">news:842d2h$ggi$1@mulga.cs.mu.OZ.AU...

> The train is formed by a three car comeng from Alamein.  About 9:30 in the
> morning two six car trains run empty from FSS to Camberwell (via
Riversdale)
> which split to form 4 three car trains.  Only 3 three car trains are
needed
> to provide the Camberwell-Alamein shuttle so the forth three car set will
> be used for the Camberwell-Ringwood runs.  This then joins back up at
> Camberwell later in the day and runs empty (6 car) to FSS.

I haven't got these new TT's only WTT.2004/99, so:

The Up from Riversdale arrives into which platform?  If its Platform 1 then
your stuffed, but if it's Platform 2 then you should be able to depart
direct to the Down line.

> After arrival at Camberwell the train will shunt and re-dock (S&R) via
> signal 28 (dwarf, shunt from down line, under the flyover) and ment to
> shunt into platform 3, however shunt from down line to platform 3 is
> NOT a signalled move.  Since there is no "Limit of Shunt" or signal at the
> Up end of platform 3.

Errrr.....do the Safeworking people realise this?  I remember watching a
Signaller try this once when he was trying to run around a tea kettle around
a charter, verbaled the driver past the dwarf, and got themselves totally
tracklocked.  I don't think this move, if it even starts, will survive very
long.

> And just more trains to set the level crossings at Heatherdale, Mitcham,
> Rooks, Springvale, Blackburn and Middleborough roads to the wrong
> stopping pattern (ie express/stopper) and it will be only a matter of
> time before there is an accident either by the level crossing not
> protecting the train or staying down too long and someone driving around
the
> crossing.

The only real solution would be a new Express/Stopping system based on a box
(say Ringwood) transmitting with each train a full stopping pattern, not
just a simple Stopping or Express.  i.e. not just PR's but some sort of data
transmission & processing.

This Skip Stop sort of stopping pattern really kills the current selection
along here, based mostly on timing the dwell of the train at the previous
station.

--
Mr Notagunzel.
Rail Transportation Connoisseur