Re: XPTs to return to Canberra?

David Bromage <dbromage@fang.omni.com.au> wrote in message news:mV%64.30>
> I've travelled on these services several times this year. Even outside
> school holidays I've found them 75-80% full ex-Bungendore and usually full
> ex-Goulburn. I have also experienced double booking more than once this
> year, including one which got be bumped to first class.

I had an interesting experience last week.  I attempted, admittedly at short
notice, to get a seat on the down morning Explorer to Bundanoon, as it was a
more convenient time than the Cityrail service (nothing between about 10am
and 4pm ex Sydney).

I enquired at the Countrylink office at Parramatta, and after consulting the
new super efficient booking system (there are signs up all around the office
apologising in advance for the delays), I was told the train was absolutely
booked out.  Even first class? Sorry , no economy, no first class, chocker.
I assumed the system is intelligent enough to allocate seats that may be
spare as far as Goulburn to shorter haul passengers, but maybe this is a big
ask.

Eventually getting to Bundanoon the hard way (suburban to Campbelltown,
Endeavour to Moss Vale, then non connecting local bus service) , I was
surprised to see the Explorer that I tried to book on earlier pulling into
Campbelltown, almost 40 minutes late.

At a quick glance into the 3 cars, there were at least 30% empty seats!!
Does this mean the new system still works on the old "quota" system, and the
quota for Bundanoon was gone? I can't believe that passengers from Moss Vale
would have filled all the empty seats. If intending passengers are
needlessly turned away because the booking officer can't be bothered further
interrogating the system, then Countrylink (and the booking system) are no
improvement on the bad old days of NSW "take it or leave it" travel.

Regards,

Paul