Re: Rain Incident near Junee??

David Johnson (trainman@ozemail.com.au) wrote:
: Maurie Daly wrote:

: > Yes I must admit I found this incident a bit strange.
: > If the situation was as described by RAC , a normal following on procedure
: > where there was no danger whatsover, how did the ABC find out.
: > There would be no incentive at all for any of the crew to report to the ABC a
: > normal routine event,(if thats what it was).
: > On the other hand , given that the inquiry into Glenbrook has now
: > commenced,the last thing on the planet that the SRA or RAC would want is
: > another incident of a train running into the back of another one, even a near
: > miss would be real bad news.

: Disclaimer - I know nothing about the incident except what I have read on this newsgroup.

: From what I've read, it sounds like there were two down trains following each other at caution due to
: failed signals.  The driver of the up freight got on the radio and told the second train how far in front
: the first train was. (On the CountryNet radio system this would be via "Local" - or 450.050 MHz).  Anyone
: with a scanner in the area could have heard it and misinterpreted it, then reported to the ABC.  If it
: was an incident, then a telegram would have been written.  Has anyone seen one?

According to my contact at the ABC, it was 2CN (ABC Metro in Canberra)
which filed the story to News. 2CN, 2BL, Radio National and most of the
NSW regionals broadcast it at the next news break. Given the amount of
technical information the station received and some of the terminology
used, we jointly came to the conclusion it was a tip off from somebody
within RAC who is not happy about the bugs in the new signalling system.

Cheers
David