Re: new XPT cars order

In article <385ACEF6.F7B7DB54@ozemail.com.au>,
David Johnson  <trainman@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
>Jack wrote:
>
>> Hi dave...
>>
>> Dave Proctor <daproc@spambait.umpires.com> wrote in message
>> 83d6n4$97e$1@news1.mpx.com.au">news:83d6n4$97e$1@news1.mpx.com.au...

>> > It would have had to have been a modification on the PHA.
>>
>> as I said I am not sure if it applies.... someone will be bound to know for
>> sure tho
>
>Any powervan *can* power an XPT set, as it is simply up to 415V up to 50 Hz.  I
>am trying to rmember if the XPT cars have a trip wire.  I was under the
>impression that they had a neutral wire through the jumper, and not a trip
>wire.  This would mean that a power van would require a modification to bypass
>the trip circuit (fairly simple - 1 switch).  If that is the case, then the PHAs
>would probably all have the switch installed.

 Thats about it, a different wiring on the jumpers, 415v 50Hz being inside
the range an XP puts out on train line.

 I doubt you could run now with out some sort of safty trip system on the
power feed line, but it would be a matter of a couple of relays or an ELCB
on the PHA.

 I've seen a 'standard' power socket to XPT jumper cable at Meeks Rd.

 While they are re-engining and rewiring XPs they should wack a AC-AC
solit state frequency converter on the train line bus. Over time they
would be able to start using standard motors and other parts in the
Air-Conditioning units, which would be cheaper and eventually pay off
the cost of the power converter.
 The variable frequency variable voltage design really shows how old the
XPT (HST125) really is.