Re: [VIC] high speed vs 80 kph tours

Dave Malcolm wrote:

> In article <38578563.E412AF5E@ozemail.com.au> David Johnson <trainman@ozemail.com.au> writes:
> >Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 23:11:15 +1100
> >From: David Johnson <trainman@ozemail.com.au>
> >Subject: Re: [VIC] high speed vs 80 kph tours

> >> And what a bloody great waste of time that was.
>
> >Oh dear, the local operations faction having a go at the long distance faction.
> >There is a place
> >for both!  The tristater was a huge success, and everyone on board had a great
> >time.
>
> I agree there is a place for both, however no matter how much fun was had on
> the train it still didn't make any money and so contributed to a considerable
> debt.

I would be interested to see your figures on this.  I was under the impression (perhaps mistaken)
that the tristater recorded a profit.  It would be preferable if you posted any details
privately, not in the public forum.

> Dave Malcolm
> PS which operations cleared said debt?

Long distance tours, including the famous Phantom trips got the society a fair way into the
black.  The costs associated with maintaining their own line and subsidising the Xplorer put them
back into the red.  This situation has improved considerably since the Rail Access fees were
reduced, and the Michelago line was bypassed.  The society is currently attempting to run a
balance of long and short distance tours.  The current direction of the society is good.

This is my last word on this subject.

--
David Johnson
trainman@ozemail.com.au