Re: [VIC] high speed vs 80 kph tours

In article <38525051.5B2462F6@ozemail.com.au> James Brook <ajmbrook@ozemail.com.au> writes:
>From: James Brook <ajmbrook@ozemail.com.au>
>Subject: [VIC] high speed vs 80 kph tours
>Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 00:23:29 +1100

>After looking at Steamrail's 2000 programme for the first half of the
>year I noticed that there aren't any long distance tours with the wooden
>cars. Also I think the ARHS are also planning several high speed tours.
>I won't go into how much I hate the BK cars but just out of curiosity,
>who here would like to see a few more "traditional" rail tours. ie: a
>train of wooden E and W cars where you leave at 0800 (or earlier) and
>return at around midnight after travelling to some obscure town on one
>of the wheat lines or do a round trip to a town in central Victoria. The
>two "Victoria Via Everywhere" tours were some of the best tours of the
>1990's. Although the high speed tours are fun, for me the novelty factor
>is starting to wear off and I want to see a return to the good old days!
>:-) (Do'h I'm starting to sound like an old-timer!, lol)

On a similar interesting note , what is the greatest distance that a rail fan
trip has covered in a single day. (ie there and back.)
I travelled many years ago on a day trip from Melb to Bordertown and back
and it was really great.  (967.21 kms)
X from Melb to Serviceton and 930 to Bordertown and back.
Lots of high speed running in wooden cars.
There was a trip planned from Melb to Cootamundra and return that would have
beaten the above but it never took place.
Have there been any trips that went further?

MD