[VIC] longest day tours (was: [VIC] high speed vs 80 kph tours)

Maurie Daly wrote:

> On a similar interesting note , what is the greatest distance that a rail fan
> trip has covered in a single day. (ie there and back.)
> I travelled many years ago on a day trip from Melb to Bordertown and back
> and it was really great.  (967.21 kms)
> X from Melb to Serviceton and 930 to Bordertown and back.
> Lots of high speed running in wooden cars.
> There was a trip planned from Melb to Cootamundra and return that would have
> beaten the above but it never took place.
> Have there been any trips that went further?

I noticed something that is rather interesting. The farewell western broad gauge tour in 1995
went to Nhill. This is approx 248 miles from Melbourne (I don't have the kilometers with me).
The tour was run with the wooden bodied rolling stock and therefore there was an 80 km speed
limit. The tour was R761 from Melbourne to Dimboola and a G class from Dimboola to Nhill. Last
year's tour to Piangil used high speed rolling stock and it was R766 from Melbourne to Swan
Hill and T 364 from Swan Hill to Piangil. Piangil is approx 242 miles from Melbourne. Although
I don't have the timetable for the farewell western broad gauge tour as far as I can remember
we left very early and returned at around midnight. The Piangil tour left at 0717 and returned
at 2319. The line from Swan Hill to Piangil also had a heavy speed restriction. I know I would
rather leave a little bit earlier and return a little bit later if the carriages are more
comfortable.

--
- James Brook -

e-mail: