Re: [VIC] longest day tours (was: [VIC] high speed vs 80 kph tours)

James Brook <ajmbrook@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
3855D65F.C6892A8@ozemail.com.au">news:3855D65F.C6892A8@ozemail.com.au...

> I noticed something that is rather interesting. The farewell western broad
gauge tour in 1995
> went to Nhill. This is approx 248 miles from Melbourne (I don't have the
kilometers with me).

400km's exactly.

> The tour was run with the wooden bodied rolling stock and therefore there
was an 80 km speed
> limit. The tour was R761 from Melbourne to Dimboola and a G class from
Dimboola to Nhill. Last
> year's tour to Piangil used high speed rolling stock and it was R766 from
Melbourne to Swan
> Hill and T 364 from Swan Hill to Piangil. Piangil is approx 242 miles from
Melbourne. Although
> I don't have the timetable for the farewell western broad gauge tour as
far as I can remember
> we left very early and returned at around midnight. The Piangil tour left
at 0717 and returned
> at 2319. The line from Swan Hill to Piangil also had a heavy speed
restriction. I know I would
> rather leave a little bit earlier and return a little bit later if the
carriages are more
> comfortable.

8/4/95 R761 7/285: BCE, 2 x BE, ABE, 2 x BW, VOAF

           tt        actual
Spencer St      0730      0734
Ballarat   0956-1015 1004-1026
Ararat     1156-1215 1136-1219
Dimboola   1512-1527 1448-1528
Nhill      1600      1558

Dimboola - Nhill & ret G526 & no VOAF.

Running around at Nhill is fun a/c switchlocks, 1st dock train into 2 rd,
then run round via 1 rd, and redock the train.

           tt        actual
Nhill           1620 1644
Dimboola   1700-1715 1719-1744
Ararat     1923-1945 1951-2023