Re: How long is a Chain?

James Brook wrote in message <38557FE6.F761C1CA@ozemail.com.au>...
>Neil Gerace wrote:
>
>> Me too, one of the first ones in WA I think (Grade 1 = 1975).
>>
>> I had a look at all of the other replies, but didn't see the final answer
in
>> metrics so here it is:
>>
>> 80 chains = 1 mile = 1.609344 km exactly (ie, by definition since 1960).
>>
>> therefore 1 chain = 20.1168 m exactly.

The absolute correct figure for conversions in Australia is that 1 foot =
0.3048 metres -
this is the accurate and legal conversion figure.  I'm sure that over very
long
distances it may be a little out, but, and I stress but, in actual fact I
think that it
was the old imperial measurement that was altered to fit in with the newer
metric system.

Chris Lehmann