Re: James pull your head in. Was: 3801 Black No More

Hi Folks,

Stuart Thyer wrote:

>> You seem to describe a preservation group that fits headboards, nameplates or different color schemes as 'so called' preservation groups. Are you denouncing the huge efforts put into restoring these items purely on the basis of a single piece of metal or timber placed on the engine? If so, I think you are being extremely harsh in degrading these groups, especially in a public forum.<<

James Brook you have my support. I agree with your posts on
this subject.

I'm sure the efforts of the steamrail volunteers are noble.

Unfortunately those efforts are wasted. Yes, a single ugly
piece of timber across the front of the engine can ruin all
those efforts. I have seen many preserved steam locomotives
in action around the world and I have never seen anything so
tastelessly disfigured as R761. I have had many discussions
with railfans overseas about such subjects and Steamrail is
viewed as a laughing stock.

It is transformation and fantasy, not serious preservation.

Regards

Greg Triplett ( ex Steamrail member )