James pull your head in. Was: 3801 Black No More

----------
In article <3858540F.B71CD60E@ozemail.com.au>, James Brook
<ajmbrook@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

>I actually make models of the VR during the late 60's and early 70's. And I
>do a fair bit of scratchbuilding, so yes I do use models to recreate the
>past because most so called "preservation" groups don't make a reasonable
>effort to do that. It might be hard for some of you who have been there and
>done that to understand why someone of my age wants to see a colour scheme
>that existed on the loco in the past, but I do and I'm sure that I am not
>the only one.

So James, perhaps you can explain your philosophies to the ng. You seem to
describe a preservation group that fits headboards, nameplates or different
color schemes as 'so called' preservation groups. Are you denouncing the
huge efforts put into restoring these items purely on the basis of a single
piece of metal or timber placed on the engine? If so, I think you are being
extremely harsh in degrading these groups, especially in a public forum.
 Are you aware of the modifications done to R761 that don't make a
reasonable effort to portray the past. It's rear sanders and the headboard,
that's it. The D3 has less, just the headboard. No concessions to modern
crewing requirements, no mirrors, no comfy seats, they're just as they were
built.
If that makes those efforts only 'so called' in quality then do better, get
out there and find out what it's like to try and preserve in the 90's, find
the balance between heritage, authenticity vs practicality and money. I put
in the hours in preservation and it isn't easy and it isn't always
pleasurable, so I will get my back up if you degrade my and others efforts
as 'so called'. Put your back into it or put your money on the table because
your attitude is really starting to grate.

Stuart Thyer
Photographer
University of Melbourne