Re: [VIC] high speed vs 80 kph tours

In article <38578563.E412AF5E@ozemail.com.au> David Johnson <trainman@ozemail.com.au> writes:
>Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 23:11:15 +1100
>From: David Johnson <trainman@ozemail.com.au>
>Subject: Re: [VIC] high speed vs 80 kph tours

>Dave Malcolm wrote:

>> >If it didn't have to return, the ARHS ACT Tristater would get a lookin.
>>
>> And what a bloody great waste of time that was.

>Oh dear, the local operations faction having a go at the long distance faction.
>There is a place
>for both!  The tristater was a huge success, and everyone on board had a great
>time.

>--
>David Johnson
>trainman@ozemail.com.au
>http://www.ozemail.com.au/~trainman/

For what its worth , this trip was the best fan trip I have ever been on.
For the distance involved, and the cost of travelling , it was by far the best
value, and allowed the coverage in daylight of lines that simply cant be
covered, even today.
I would go again if the trip was re-run , especially if the same loco could be
used all the way ,or we could get some interesting loco combinations,
(ie 45 + X ) or (EL + X ) (45 + B) or (X + 45 ) (761or AN  )and we
could achieve some historically significant events like running express thru
Broken Hill,or express thru Adelaide (has this ever been done.)
Has a 45 ran between Melb and Adelaide before, I know 600s have ,
but Im unsure if ever as lead units.)
Pretty sure that there has never been an X to Broken Hill.

MD