Re: Poultry Railcars (Was: [VIC] K190 to South Gippsland)

On Wed, 15 Dec 1999 15:14:22 +1100, James Brook
<ajmbrook@ozemail.com.au> wrote, and I selectively quote:

>I think WCR just want a quick fix so they
>are looking for the loco that is the easiest to get running.

I hope you're studying Economics at University, Jim.  Your post
indicates a lack of understanding of the current situation.

1.   Of course a commercial "for-profit" company is going to look for
the easiest/cheapest solution to a motive power need -- it would be
financially irresponsible of them to do otherwise.  Why on earth would
you enter into an arrangement that's going to cost you more money than
necessary?

2.  R766 is currently leased to SRV and will be leased to WCR.  SRV
has thus far had no security of tenure over the locomotive as the
owners of R766 could at any time decide to make their loco unavailable
to SRV for any reason (I'm NOT saying that would ever happen).  The
owners of R766 obviously feel that this new commercial arrangement
will benefit them in the long run.  Is there a risk? Of course, there
is, but risk is part of everyday life, personal and business.

3.  SRV holds title to R700.  A restored R700 gives SRV 2 R classes
over which they hold title -- a much more secure position for them.

4.  If something goes awry with the financial arrangements along the
way, SRV still owns R700 in a variable state of restoration, now with
a tender in great shape (ie R766's tender has been swapped for
R700's).  When R700 is completed, SRV gets their own working R for
much much less outlay of time and money than if they had to restore
R700 (loco and tender) by themselves.  They obviously lack the
financial and labour ability to restore the R (they're having enough
difficulty with the A2) or it would have been done by now.

>Why couldn't they swap R700 for 707's R753 and convert it?
>Then 707 would have the class leader and R766 would still be
>with Steamrail and WCR would have another "super R".

But R766 is NOT an SRV loco.... it's a privately owned loco currently
leased to SRV.  It would be masochism (and probably financial suicide)
on the part of WCR to take on a loco and tender that needs a TOTAL
renovation to become operable within the necessary time-frame, ie by
April 2000.

>Also what happens if WCR dismantle and start to convert R766 but they run out
>of money? Also what happens if R700 can't be economically restored like they
>think it can? In both of these scenarios Steamrail is left without a second R.

And if R766's owners decide to walk, SRV is left without a second R.
No difference in either scenario as far as SRV is concerned.

>If WCR converted an R that hadn't been restored then there would
>be nothing to lose.

Except for the stakeholders in WCR.  WCR is not a philanthropic
organisation, even though many of their activities bring great joy to
railfans.  Their presence in the marketplace will stimulate steam rail
tourism and charters (as opposed to gunzel tours) which will prime the
pump to allow a revenue stream to assist in the restoration of a J
class, D3 or an A2 or two, or even some other class of loco.  No
matter what their colour or attachments, a working steam loco is
better than a rusting hulk.

>While everything will probably be ok, I still think this proposal is too
>risky for Steamrail.

Que?  WCR is carrying most of the risk and the owners of R766 a lesser
risk.  Steamrail gets out of this at minimal risk and maximum
potential for gain.

I'm pleased to see such co-operative far-sighted decisions by the
Board of SRV, the owners of R766 and the owners of WCR: it can only
lead to a larger number and variety of operating/operable locos in
Victoria.  If you want "lost in time" historical accuracy, go down to
the ARHS museum and watch the hulks there slowly rusting away in the
salt air.

Lighten up, Jim, your posts lately seem to carry a wistful melancholia
about them -- nothing seems to be getting done correctly as far as
you're concerned.

Regards

Yuri
--
Yuri J Sos

Reply to: steam4me@enternet.com.au

Web site is located at
http://www.railpage.org.au/steam4me
"1998 - The Victorian Year in Steam"
--  Now available - check website for dealers
 at http://www.railpage.org.au/smedia ---