Re: Sale - Hillside .Where's the pictures?...please.

Rod <comtrain@mpx.com.au> wrote in message
8380dj$8ks$1@news1.mpx.com.au">news:8380dj$8ks$1@news1.mpx.com.au...

> Yes Yuri, it is true!
> Marinus did a working trip to the Americas when he first took over the
> reigns, and came back with Video of this vehicle. He told the fellows at
> Dynon about it at one of his popular visits to our meal room [long time
> since the boss bothered to come and talk to us] and when we showed
interest,
> had a video made and sent it to the Union so we could see what he was on
> about. Now Marinus, was a Trucker, and prior to setting up National Rail,
> and getting V/Line a way towards standing proud again, he had some heavy
> credits in Road Transport! So we were all a bit dubious about this Western
> Star thingo. But all credit to the man, we mostly waited and watched, and
> learnt to respect him.

I remember when one day when travelling on a nut special a copy of the
tender specification floated around, we all thought it was some sort of joke
at first...

IIRC there was an intention to buy 3 of the critters, it was part of Marinus
ideas on more a efficient railway, if the RTL broke down you just took it
down to the nearest garage. |-)

Again IIRC after RTL1 was bought and didn't enter service for a while, there
was a story that the Auditor General started sniffing around, which may have
been when the orders for the further RTL's vanished...

And I'm still waiting for a nut special hauled by this critter...

People may remember a South Australian version of the RTL, what happened to
it?

--
Mr Notagunzel.
Rail Transportation Connoisseur