More Sale - Hillside (via Stratford Vic.) stuff.

Whew! I have just returned from a relaxing day's train (RTL) watching. Well,
it is more relaxing when you get invited into the cab for the ride (grin).
The RTL is generally hauling 10 empty VOHX's (wagons without the doors) and
returning from Hillside (the location - not the spark operator) with another
5 wagons loaded with logs. This allows at least one run per day via the road
to save time. (1 hour 40 minutes by rail vs about 40 minutes by road).
Level crossing signals along the line are still out of use, but have been
observed being cleaned inside and out by ABB crews this week, with spray
bottles and rags. Yes, cleaned inside and outside of the lamps and even all
the signs, including the brushing of spider webs. Interestingly, despite the
signals not yet being switched on, a healthy state indicator WAS flashing at
one crossing, indicating that the track circuit was active. It's just that
the lights and bell were not operating. 2 flagmen protect all such crossings
though.
Anybody wishing to see this strange sight of a truck hauling trains on a
previously disused line should not leave it too long. Freight Victoria are
expecting to have a T class over the Avon River bridge fairly soon -
possibly before Christmas. T408 would be my guess since it is now in FV
livery.
As always, if anybody knows more than me, I'd be glad to hear it.

Darren Hodges.