Re: SAW/ASW - was Re: Computer Question - DTC

Maurie Daly wrote:

> In article <zdY44.81$iZ6.3847@nsw.nnrp.telstra.net> "Notagunzel" <notagunzel@bigfoot.com> writes:
> >From: "Notagunzel" <notagunzel@bigfoot.com>
> >Subject: Re: SAW/ASW - was Re: Computer Question - DTC
> >Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 12:46:48 +1100
>
> >Maurie Daly <mauried@commslab.gov.au> wrote in message
> >mauried.493.385418F0@commslab.gov.au">news:mauried.493.385418F0@commslab.gov.au...
>
> >> As far as cancelling ASW goes in the interim is not bizzarre at all.
> >> In this accident ,the safeworking system (ASW) was directly involved in
> >> failing to prevent it .
> >> Until an inquiry is held and ASW is cleared of any failure,continuing to
> >use
> >> it is effectively pre-empting the outcome of any inquiry, ie the operators
> >of
> >> the safeworking system are effectively saying that theres nothing wrong
> >with
> >> it. (Ie its safe).
>
> >If there is an Aeroplane crash, is Air Traffic Control shut down until the
> >enquiry clears it?
>
> Obviously not , as there are no alternative systems that can be used.
>
> In the case of Rail Safeworking systems though there are and whilst
> some may be old , they are at least well tried and proven.
> One can hardly say this about ASW though.
> Had just about any alternative safe working system other than ASW or TO been
> in place,even TS & T , this accident would not have happened.

Unfortunately some short-sighted management decisions in the late 80's saw the removal of Pilot
Staffs from all ATC and CTC locations. This was a continuing of the downward slide of safeworking in
Victoria. This was never more evident than with the 1991 Book of Rules and Regulations. Wgen I
querrued the absence of some previous rules, I was told that omitting them was "an acceptable
business risk".
David G.