Re: SAW/ASW - was Re: Computer Question - DTC

Maurie Daly <mauried@commslab.gov.au> wrote in message
mauried.493.385418F0@commslab.gov.au">news:mauried.493.385418F0@commslab.gov.au...

> As far as cancelling ASW goes in the interim is not bizzarre at all.
> In this accident ,the safeworking system (ASW) was directly involved in
> failing to prevent it .
> Until an inquiry is held and ASW is cleared of any failure,continuing to
use
> it is effectively pre-empting the outcome of any inquiry, ie the operators
of
> the safeworking system are effectively saying that theres nothing wrong
with
> it. (Ie its safe).

If there is an Aeroplane crash, is Air Traffic Control shut down until the
enquiry clears it?

> This type of attitude was also sadly in evidence with the Glenbrook
> accident with the CEO of SRA indicating on the day of the accident that
the
> safeworking system had performed perfectly.

The CEO was clealy wrong.  If the "safeworking system had performed
perfectly" the prang wouldn't have happened.  But, the *Signalling* System
so far looks like being almost free from blame.  (The lack of Train Stop
bearing very little in the accident).

> With more modern ? safeworking systems like ATC and CTC , we have pilot
staffs
> when the safeworking system fails or is cancelled.

Only in NSW, in Victoria if the Departure Signal fails you get a (correct me
if I'm wrong) a ATC System Caution Order or CTC System Caution Order, which
authorises you to pass the Signal at Stop, and IIRC has to be cancelled when
clear of the section.

In SA, (bit more hazy here) you just get a plain vanilla Train Order to pass
the signal at stop.

On QR IIRC it an SW10 form, (which aparently allows you to providing the
controller is satisfied the previous train is clear of the section to do 50
km/h).

> It would seem to me that at least a pilot staff system could be introduced
in
> the interim period.

The hasle of finding the Staff, Ticket Boxes, S&T TRB's, rent the hut to put
at each loop, retrain the crews whose Staff & Ticket qualification has
expired, (does NRC Melb crew work Vic S&T anywhere thesedays?) and even then
a certain number of trains will end up on Train Authorities anyway when they
find the Staff at the Wrong end of the Section....

--
Mr Notagunzel.
Rail Transportation Connoisseur