Re: Glenbrook..... What was said?

> I am ont trying to blame or absolve anyone from blame, but it seems to me
> that communications may have a large role to play in this accident... It
is
> f***ing ridiculous that the  driver of a City Rail train cannot talk to
> drivers of trains of other operators, because of different radio
systems....
--
> Cheers
> Jack
Thanks Jack, well said!
The radio problem is better in Victoria, where all operators must use a
common system, but with 250 channels available, human error ofton means that
they are not all on Ch.1 when on the main line.
Train Control can Broadcast to all trains in Victoria, cutting over any chat
in an emergency!
But Suburban Trains cannot communicate with Freight Victoria Trains, [or
National Rail trains on the Long Island Route] anywhere in the Suburban
System. And this despite most of our problems having involved the two
different types of trains! To warn a Suburban Driver (or Vice versa) a
driver would have to press the Emergency button Train to base tell TC the
problem, who would then land line the Metroller, who would have to locate
the Driver, his hand held number, and hope he was in an area that was able
to recieve!
Not all Suburban Trains have a better system installed [ my info is dated,
but I have not heard of any improvements, and I just tried to ring a mate of
mine on his hand held, but the reception was so bad I barely heard anything
he said! I only found out that the hand helds are still being used]
I dialed into the railway system and got someone to transfer my call to the
train phone connection, as I think that is what Metrol does.. they seem to
ring rosters tell them they need to talk with the driver of so and so train,
and they are transferred to the drivers phone.....
Rod