Re: conditions as train operators

Michael <mk@netstra.com.au> wrote in message
8E969B48DtelstraNews@vic.news.telstra.net">news:8E969B48DtelstraNews@vic.news.telstra.net...
> Hi,
>
> Not a good comparison, since the cost of living is much higher in UK.
>
> Regards
> Michael
>
> John Kerley said on 08-Dec-1999 in <h4k34.145$_H3.639@ozemail.com.au>:
>

> >$19.4131 per hour is equivalent to $679.46 for a 35 hour week.
> >London Underground drivers receive GBP26,000 pa which at current
> >exchange rates is actually more than A$65,000 i.e $1250 for a 35 hour
> >week, plus two weeks extra holiday a year!
> >
> >This really does show how badly paid Australian drivers (operators!)
> >are.
> >

> --
> Michael Kurkowski
> Ph: 0416-044-124
> Web: http://www.netstra.com.au/~mk
>
> Change is inevitable, except from a payphone.

True to some extent.

In terms of purchasing power, I reckon the ratio is 1 GBP = 2 AUD.  It also
varies with what part of GB you are in.  For example, up north you can buy a
two bed room flat for under GBP30,000 i.e. not much more than an LUG
driver's base annual pay.   However  in London you would pay a heck of a lot
more and this is reflected in London wages which include an allowance for
the higher cost of living.

The bottom line still is though,  Australian drivers, and indeed most other
ordinary Australian workers, are much worse off in real terms than their GB
counterparts.  I speak from somewhat bitter experience.  I worked for 10
years in GB including London until the end of 1983 and then came home as at
that time Australian wages were better than GB.  However almost immediately
the relativities started to change.  I have returned periodically to GB for
holidays and keep in touch with what is going on there, railwaywise and
otherwise.   My estimate is, in real terms, Aussie workers are about 30%
worse off than their Pommy (or is it Pommie) counterparts.  However the
weather is much better here!

Therefore my advice to our LUG friend would be if your want to be poor, but
enjoy the sun, come to Aussie - but if you want to be (relatively) rich and
don't mind the drizzle, stay in London!

Cheers,

John Kerley