Re: Glenbrook - Vandalised Phone

Richard Wardle wrote:

> James Robinson <NOSPAM@ERIE.NET> wrote in message
> >
> > Radios are used successfully in other places in the world for the
> > issuance of such operating authorities.  The security issue is usually
> > handled by requiring the use of a strict set of procedures and tight
> > phraseology.  The security of the transmissions is not typically an
> > issue.
>
> I cannot comment on the use of radios from elsewhere in the world. The only
> question I have concerning that is are they a SECURE channel. Secure is used
> only by train crews and the signaller. The current hand held system here is
> also used by shunters, guards and station staff.

It depends on how busy the territory is.  In areas with many trains, and
therefore much chatter on the radio, a separate radio frequency is
usually provided for the despatcher's exclusive use.  Another frequency
would be used exclusively for general train operations, and yet other
frequencies for perway forces, and so on.

Where rail traffic is lighter, then a frequency might be reserved for
train operations only, which would include train safeworking.  Shunters
would share the frequency, but other railway departments would be on
their own using separate frequencies.  In this case, proper voice
procedures are critical to ensure the instructions are clear, and that
the proper train acts on them.

On lines with very light traffic, say two or three trains a day, a
single frequency might be used for everything.  Again, tight procedures
ensure a safe operation.