Re: Glenbrook - Vandalised Phone

<SNIP>

My belief is since it near
> impossible for a signal to remain at green, takes a couple of carbon
> contacted relays to weld contacts together (Carbon melts about 4000
> degree's) or a false feed/Earth leak, there is a high chance that the
driver
> of the passenger train could be held responsible.
>
>From my experience (14 years in the locomotive division, 10 of those as a
driver) signals DO fail in the clear position from time to time. I realise
that its rare but it does happen.

> > This may sound like a dumb question, but why don't they use radios?

Because it is an unsafe medium. Anyone can get hold of a two-way radio, say
that they are signaller so and so and tell u to pass the signal. Very unsafe
practice. The only way to be able to use a radio is to have a SECURE
channel.