Re: [Glenbrook]stopping distances

Richard <richard_snook@primus.com.au> wrote in message
384A2D6E.D09ABE0C@primus.com.au">news:384A2D6E.D09ABE0C@primus.com.au...
> Please bear with me here, some may have overlooked this question due to my
>
> What are the known stopping distances (if any ) for a V-set under
emergency from 25kph, 40, and 50.

<SNIP>
The stopping distance for a V set is dependant on a number of factors.
1. Weather conditions. As you would understand the on a slippery rail then
the distance would be greater owing to the wheels locking up etc.
2. Gradient of  the section concerned. From memory the gradient of the
section of the accident is 1in60 desending. Someone can correct me if I am
wrong as I don't have the curve and gradient diagram book at hand at the
moment.
3. Current state of the brake shoes, slack adjusters etc. When the brakes
were last serviced. When you put a V set into emergency brake it cuts out
the regen brake.

> Also...those who know the line...given the location of the comings
together, at what distance would an approaching train
> get an eyeball of the impending situation?

<SNIP>
The urban driver would have a few seconds to react. Given the eyewitness
reports he had time to put the brakes into emergency, climb out of the cab,
and get into the passenger compartment before the accident

> To those with knowledge, what effect would the  grade out of Glenbrook
have on a brake application...i.e what addition
> to the above stopping distances would be incurred?

<SNIP>
The grade would increase the stopping distance. The distance is relative to
the factors I have said in reply to your first question.

I hope this helps

Cheers
Richard