Re: Glenbrook - Vandalised Phone

James Robinson <NOSPAM@ERIE.NET> wrote in message
384DBDB0.5E33172A@ERIE.NET">news:384DBDB0.5E33172A@ERIE.NET...
> Richard Wardle wrote:
> >
> > James Robinson <NOSPAM@ERIE.NET> wrote in message
> > >
> > > Radios are used successfully in other places in the world for the
> > > issuance of such operating authorities.  The security issue is usually
> > > handled by requiring the use of a strict set of procedures and tight
> > > phraseology.  The security of the transmissions is not typically an
> > > issue.
> >
> > I cannot comment on the use of radios from elsewhere in the world. The
only
> > question I have concerning that is are they a SECURE channel. Secure is
used
> > only by train crews and the signaller. The current hand held system here
is
> > also used by shunters, guards and station staff.
>
> It depends on how busy the territory is.  In areas with many trains, and
> therefore much chatter on the radio, a separate radio frequency is
> usually provided for the despatcher's exclusive use.  Another frequency
> would be used exclusively for general train operations, and yet other
> frequencies for perway forces, and so on.
>
> Where rail traffic is lighter, then a frequency might be reserved for
> train operations only, which would include train safeworking.  Shunters
> would share the frequency, but other railway departments would be on
> their own using separate frequencies.  In this case, proper voice
> procedures are critical to ensure the instructions are clear, and that
> the proper train acts on them.
>
> On lines with very light traffic, say two or three trains a day, a
> single frequency might be used for everything.  Again, tight procedures
> ensure a safe operation.

Well the current hand held system in NSW is used by everyone. So it is an
unsafe way of getting a driver to pass a signal. Thats the reason that they
also do not issue other safeworking instructions over the two way radio in
NSW.

I do have to agree thou that there has to be a system of two way
communication that can be used by ALL rail systems. Lets have one system.
Not the multitude that are currently in use.