Re: [Melb] Prizes for Validating Metcards

Hi,

>You state that revalidation is encouraged, but you therefore imply that
>it isn't necessary. Most passengers don't like unnecessary bureaucracy,
>so if given the option wouldn't bother.

At this point of time, it is not an option. A ticket requiring machine
validation must be revalidated upon entry to transport property where a
working validator is provided.

>Obviously, by abolishing the need to revalidate, it would eliminate some
>of the problems with this ticketing system. Transport staff could then
>concentrate on detecting passengers without a valid ticket, without the
>negative image created by the revalidation system.

There are two main reasons that revalidation is pushed:

* It allows the private rail and tram companies to cut down on services
where they see fit. If the val/revalidation rates are low for a given
service, it is then not needed, thus saving money.

* It cuts out more employment, where in the past, and even up to these
days, people were/are hired to collect statistics of when people board a
train or tram, thus saving money.

This is purely speculation on my part, however I believe that the tram
stops that have been planned to be removed are for the reasons stated
above. Not enough people have utilised these stops or validated their
Metcards, hence brought them to be the least used stop.

>To treat passengers who have a valid ticket to travel as criminals is
>stupid. If the ticketing systems doesn't meet the needs of the passenger
>as well as the bureaucracy then it is flawed.

The government should not make companies pull in a profit (mainly entering
Jeff's pocket previously) at the expense of the average Australian.
Stations should still have staff to sell a fully valid ticket to a
customer. If they are concerned with statistical collection (which added,
is purely for their pockets in the first place) put up electronic counters
like shopping centres have. Do you see shopping centres making people
collect a ticket for manual validation each time they enter?

Electronic counters hidden strategically won't be prone to too much
interference from people waving their hand in front of it. Even when it
does happen, from graphs you will notice that one given statistic (it's
hardly likely for a kid to stand at a station all day just to bugger up the
statistics) may be invalid, and it can then be averaged with the rest, or
averaged over other days of the same time. Not quite as accurate as the
machine validation system (provided 100% of people revalidate all the time,
once only, which will never happen) but close enough for them to get the
idea.

Having said this, I have no problem with the concept of Metcard, but purely
as a ticketing system. There are other, easier ways of collecting
statistics, as I have stated above. The current Metcard system, with the
statistical side of it removed, can be an almost perfect ticketing system,
along with some other changes:

* Allow the purchase and validation of incorrect zone tickets from the
machines, as long as it can be proven that the person holds another ticket
for the correct zone (Either entry of the ticket number on the eftpos
keypad on the large machines, or have a slot for entry of the current
ticket on the machines. Give the person the option of validating their
ticket from the machine).

* Daily tickets on trams (Everyone's said this, no argument really)

* Plastic coated periodical tickets and Metcard Xpress available to
everyone. Paper tickets, properly stored and revalidated all the time do
not last a month, as I have found.

Thus, if the above is implemented, people will no longer be treated like
criminals and the railways will not be abused as yet another profit making
scheme. With the above implemented, there will be more employment for those
who need it. For this to happen however, the companies will need to be
government run once again, and preferably integrated as before. Therefore I
conclude in asking, what is so good about the current system, for the above
changes not to be made?

Regards
Michael

--
Michael
Email: mk@netstra.com.au

What is the point of having quotes at the end of your .sig?