Re: Train Accident in Blue Mountains

Dave Proctor wrote:

> David McLoughlin <davemcl@AXE*THISiprolink.co.nz> wrote in message
> 3845dbc7@news.iprolink.co.nz">news:3845dbc7@news.iprolink.co.nz...
>
> > Is it common in Sydney for this standard safety feature to be omitted
> > from train lines?
>
> They are only in the suburban areas. They have not been placed outside the
> suburban boundaries, although I believe that there is a program to fit them
> (DJ will help on that, I am sure).

As this crash was caused either by a general signal failure or by the
Cityrail train ignoring a stop signal, it might be interesting to tip
off some reputable journalist about train-stop arms and the absence
thereof on this line.

(I say tip off, as IME no journalist would even know what a
train-stop-arm is, let alone how they work, but if there is a reputable
journalist left in Sydney with an interest in transport issues, some
greater public good might come of tipping one off. Just look at the
death toll in London on lines not fitted with such equipment).

David McLoughlin
Auckland New Zealand

"Tsing siu sum che mun – please stand clear of the door."
-- Bilingual (Cantonese-English) announcement as the doors close on
trains of Hong Kong’s Mass Transit Railway.