Re: Occupation

Andrew Price <aprice@mail.dotcom.fr> wrote in message
37cfd1d0.440705@news.dial.oleane.com">news:37cfd1d0.440705@news.dial.oleane.com...
> On Fri, 03 Sep 1999 21:59:00 +1000, David Langley <del@ancc.com.au>
> wrote:
>
> >It's very important that poofa valves be maintained properly because when
one
> >broke down, all hell broke loose and trains might stop running for days.
>
> What exactly are these?
This comes under the heading of Railway folk lore I think.
See:
Widget,
Wobbegong,
Left handed screw driver,
etc,etc
If a railway man was heard to exclaim,"Jeez Ive busted a poofa valve"It
meant trouble.
If a railway man said to his mate,"Careful mate you'll bust a poofa
valve",It meant there was a strong possibility of big big trouble.
Course of action: Lay down on ground and rest for considerable length of
time,preferably whole shift or longer.

--
"Lineman"
"Speak Lineman"