Re: Occupation

David Langley <del@ancc.com.au> wrote in message
37CE7584.E44E5DC@ancc.com.au">news:37CE7584.E44E5DC@ancc.com.au...
> Lineman wrote:
>
> > He may have done his job by means of a 2 man track trolley which he and
his
> > mate would load up with pins, insulators, tie wires, axes,ladder,a long
> > wooden pole used for lifting telegraph wires back up onto the carrier
> > arm,and bed rolls and tucker,and any thing else that may be req.
>
> Possibly a V class. I had a V No 13 and she was a real goer. Could manage
eight
> minutes from Avenel to Mangalore on a good day. Got wrecked at Kerrisdale
after
> gang surprised us in a deep cutting on a sharp curve. My outrigger was
destroyed
> but we pinched a steel one from the W&W and never looked back. Can
remember some
> beautiful days motoring to Mansfield and Alexandra before the lines
closure. Ah
> yes, those were the days.
>
> > They would set off on the trolley after obtaining permission from the
signal
> > man and inspect the pole line as they went,small jobs like broken
insulators
> > being fixed as they went ,noting bigger jobs for later.example
replacement
> > of carrier arms or pole.
> > Mostly they would sleep out [away] for much of the week ,finishing work
at
> > perhaps 430pm and cooking tea in the waiting room of some small way side
> > stop,play cards till dark and sleep in that waiting room or shed.
>
> We supposedly slept in pubs but in fact when I went bush, private cars
were used
> to creep back home at night and then whiz back to where ever next morning
before
> ringing in.
>
> > They also may have to get their time sheets signed by the S.M at that
> > location so that they can prove that they where there to receive
2shillings
> > Travelling and Incidental allowance per night away.
>
> We collected station stamps and then tried our hand at copying signatures.
> Occasionally it worked but I still have the station stamps from some of
those
> long forgotten stations.
>
> > If a wire or span was broken by tree branch or other mishap they had to
drop
> > everything and motor to the point of disruption and fix it,in any
weather.
> > If the damage  was really bad they could ask for assistance from the
fitter
> > and his mate ,the signal adjuster and his mate and any labourers
employed at
> > his home depot.
>
> Have spent many a wet night tramping along the edge of the line looking
for a
> line fault causing the staff instruments to fail. When found we would run
> [...]
The Lineman also carried a portable field phone for ringing stations and for
testing lines.Using bell codes to raise an address.
He also had another style of portable phone for connecting to the control
line,and speaking to God.[the fat controller]
The method used for speaking to control was thus:
Press your button and speak"Lineman"
Then you would wait until the great one spoke back to you,which could be
immediately or 15 mins later depending if he was busy or forgot you[as your
location did not light up his board]
"Speak Lineman"
Only then could you tell him your mate had a snake bite,the wheels had
fallen off your trolley,you had busted a poofa valve,or you where off the
track ok.
Busted trolleys where not uncommon when every fitter,adjuster,ganger,and big
blue and gold monster shared the rails and trains had right of way.
Falling off trolleys at 15 miles per hour when the trolley decides to leave
the rails is also an experience which could leave many cuts and bruises,and
a short aversion to speed at very low altitude,I think they call it an
Olympic sport now and people do it for competition.[motorised loogze or
something like that]
But on a sunny day in the country,and you had the branch line to yourself I
think the trolley was the finest rail experience you could ever hope to
experience, you new you where alive and it  made up for all the less savoury
times,like motoring into the teeth of a gale in the middle of winter[my god
it makes me shiver now]

--
"Lineman"
"Speak Lineman"