Re: Occupation

Lineman wrote:

> He may have done his job by means of a 2 man track trolley which he and his
> mate would load up with pins, insulators, tie wires, axes,ladder,a long
> wooden pole used for lifting telegraph wires back up onto the carrier
> arm,and bed rolls and tucker,and any thing else that may be req.

Possibly a V class. I had a V No 13 and she was a real goer. Could manage eight
minutes from Avenel to Mangalore on a good day. Got wrecked at Kerrisdale after
gang surprised us in a deep cutting on a sharp curve. My outrigger was destroyed
but we pinched a steel one from the W&W and never looked back. Can remember some
beautiful days motoring to Mansfield and Alexandra before the lines closure. Ah
yes, those were the days.

> They would set off on the trolley after obtaining permission from the signal
> man and inspect the pole line as they went,small jobs like broken insulators
> being fixed as they went ,noting bigger jobs for later.example replacement
> of carrier arms or pole.
> Mostly they would sleep out [away] for much of the week ,finishing work at
> perhaps 430pm and cooking tea in the waiting room of some small way side
> stop,play cards till dark and sleep in that waiting room or shed.

We supposedly slept in pubs but in fact when I went bush, private cars were used
to creep back home at night and then whiz back to where ever next morning before
ringing in.

> They also may have to get their time sheets signed by the S.M at that
> location so that they can prove that they where there to receive 2shillings
> Travelling and Incidental allowance per night away.

We collected station stamps and then tried our hand at copying signatures.
Occasionally it worked but I still have the station stamps from some of those
long forgotten stations.

> If a wire or span was broken by tree branch or other mishap they had to drop
> everything and motor to the point of disruption and fix it,in any weather.
> If the damage  was really bad they could ask for assistance from the fitter
> and his mate ,the signal adjuster and his mate and any labourers employed at
> his home depot.

Have spent many a wet night tramping along the edge of the line looking for a
line fault causing the staff instruments to fail. When found we would run
lengths of twin twist to get it back in order prior to an all out assault next
day with the liney. (Is that how you spell it??)

> Most wires [earlier]where steel about the diameter of fencing wire and
> usually rusty which stuffed your hands and gloves when rolling up or trying
> to work on,later copper was used to replace or rebuild pole lines.

No 8 fencing wire was used, or at least wire of the same gauge, on the branch
lines but the main lines were copper which was easily handled. Also in later
years easily pinched by druggos.

> Generally country depot S&T staff where hard men and very self
> sufficient,the work was not often easy,and they had to rely on each other at
> all times.

I'll never regret that I left the easy life of suburban S & T to move bush where
you became a Jack of all trades fairly quickly. Some times the work was tough
and long with no prospect of relief during failure or when storms brought down
extensive section of aerials but it taught self sufficiency and reliance on your
work mate. I worked with five assistants during my 16 years bush and only one
couldn't (or wouldn't) anticipate the next move. Ah, the stuff memories are made
of.

David Langley. (who is still bush but not with the railways, and is not
incognito)