Re: Occupation

Jim and Marilyn Smith <jams@bigpond.com.au> wrote in message
01bef449$55787460$LocalHost@home">news:01bef449$55787460$LocalHost@home...
> Hello list,
> Can anyone tell me Grandfather's occupation was?,He gave it as a Lineman,
> think he was working for N.S.W. State Rail at Dubbo at the time and I
would
> love to know what his job would have been.Jim
>
>From a Victorian perspective
Grand dad was most likely employed in the NSW equivalent of the Vic.Signal
and Telegraph branch of the Railways and possibly he was charged with the
maintenance of a length of telegrath pole line between point A and point B.
He would have a mate,to assist with his job,and his local boss would be the
s&t fitter in charge.
He may have done his job by means of a 2 man track trolley which he and his
mate would load up with pins, insulators, tie wires, axes,ladder,a long
wooden pole used for lifting telegraph wires back up onto the carrier
arm,and bed rolls and tucker,and any thing else that may be req.
They would set off on the trolley after obtaining permission from the signal
man and inspect the pole line as they went,small jobs like broken insulators
being fixed as they went ,noting bigger jobs for later.example replacement
of carrier arms or pole.
Mostly they would sleep out [away] for much of the week ,finishing work at
perhaps 430pm and cooking tea in the waiting room of some small way side
stop,play cards till dark and sleep in that waiting room or shed.
They also may have to get their time sheets signed by the S.M at that
location so that they can prove that they where there to receive 2shillings
Travelling and Incidental allowance per night away.
If a wire or span was broken by tree branch or other mishap they had to drop
everything and motor to the point of disruption and fix it,in any weather.
If the damage  was really bad they could ask for assistance from the fitter
and his mate ,the signal adjuster and his mate and any labourers employed at
his home depot.
Most wires [earlier]where steel about the diameter of fencing wire and
usually rusty which stuffed your hands and gloves when rolling up or trying
to work on,later copper was used to replace or rebuild pole lines.
Generally country depot S&T staff where hard men and very self
sufficient,the work was not often easy,and they had to rely on each other at
all times.
Hope this helps for some back ground.

--
"Lineman"